Greetings Fellow Family History Sleuths,
Well, this has been a fun month for me! I submitted the manuscript for my next book and had the pleasure of watching my genealogical handiwork on Top Chef (the chefs went to Ellis Island and had to make a meal based on their heritage). Here's hoping that your month has been equally eventful and that the upcoming one brings even more genealogical adventures and good fortune!
Genealogy Round Up, February 24
Ireland a nation of emigrants again
Ireland's Lost Wall website documents Irish brain drain
Thank you Seattle-Tacoma & LA for showing my WDYTYA companion book so much love!
Genealogy Books - Who Do You Think You Are?, Honoring Our Ancestors, They Came to America, Trace You
Matthew Broderick, Who Do You Think You Are?
Cool application of genealogy
Unnamed Triangle Waist Company Victims Identified
A Guide to Houses No Gentleman Would Dare to Frequent
"Who Do You Think You Are?" renewed for 3rd season!
NBC Renews Reality Series ‘Biggest Loser’, ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ & ‘Sing-Off’ – Deadline.com
No longer "old blue eyes"
AFP: Iceman Oetzi gets a new face for 20th anniversary
Please come join me on 3/16 in NYC!
Who Do You Think You Are? Tracing Your Family's History
Spike Lee: Who Do You Think You Are?
Attention, Colorado genealogists! Please come join me at the Colfax location in Denver on 3/30!
Events | Tattered Cover Book Store
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, March 3
Genealogy on TV
Julia Roberts Isn't a Roberts
101-Year-Old Love Letter Tells of Secret Cross-Border Romance
Didn't know I was "famous," but this is pretty cool. Hope you'll join me in NE on 3/28!
Final 5 being charged w/making a dish based on their heritage
What2Watch: Top Chef Clears The Table - Film.com
Irish DNA would be easier to sort out if he had been less prolific!
Tennessee State Library And Archives Traces Lionel Richie's Ancestry - Entertainment News Story - WS
Brazil, England, India, Italy, Nicaragua, Spain, and Wales Records Added | FamilySearch.org
Have y'all seen this new GeneaWebinars blog by Dear Myrt?
GeneaWebinars: Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners & the FBI by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
There's No One as Irish as Barack Obama 2012
Very nice review by Marian Pierre-Louis!
Marian's Roots and Rambles: Book Review: Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide
LOVED this book. Can't wait to see the movie!
Tony Hawk’s ‘Round Ireland With a Fridge’ movie debuts in the U.S.
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, March 10
Enjoyed chatting with Marian!
Marian's Roots and Rambles: Top Chef Genealogist: Megan Smolenyak
Love this article title!
Who does she think she is?
Brooke Shields, Who Do You Think You Are? (FYI, someone made a few edits and unintentionally injected a few errors. My mother was a Shields, so I promise I know how to spell it!)
Brooke Shields, Who Do You Think You Are?
With Hudson County as a backdrop, TV chefs, stars learn life lessons from their genealogy
Go, Lou Szucs!
Branching out on the family tree
Warning: This is a touch snarkier than usual!
Should David Cassidy Have Let His Roots Show on Celebrity Apprentice?
Wow. Father with motor neurone disease 'banks' his voice for his son.
Ill man records his voice for son
Would love to see this happen!
Motion for Annie Moore monument goes to council | thecorknews.ie
U.S. and Mexico Records Added This Week | FamilySearch.org
Back to top^
If you plan to be near any of the
events where I'll be speaking, I would love to meet you. It's always a
kick for me when folks mention that they read this newsletter, my blog, Huffington Post or whatever, so don't be shy about introducing yourself!
For more information on these events, please see my Events Calendar. And if you're interested in scheduling me, just click here.
- March 16, 2011 - New York, NY - 92YTribeca - "Who Do You Think You Are?" Book Signing
- March 28, 2011 - Stromsburg, NE (delivered live via Skype) - Stromsburg Library - "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners & the FBI"
- March 30, 2011 - Denver, CO - Tattered Cover Book Store - "Who Do You Think You Are?" Book Signing
- April 9, 2011 - Lakeland, FL - Imperial Polk Genealogical Society - "Reverse Genealogy Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Neglected History," "Trace Your Roots with DNA" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- April 16, 2011 - Madison, NJ - Drew University - "Right Annie, Wrong Annie"
- April 29-May 1, 2011 - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Saskatchewan Genealogical Society - "Remembering Our Ancestors," "Trace Your Roots with DNA," "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- May 21, 2011 - Homerville, GA - Huxford Genealogical Society - "Remembering Our Ancestors," "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt," "Cold Cases: Genealogist, Coroner and the FBI" and "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones"
- October 8, 2011 - Salt Lake City, UT - American Society of Genealogists - "Giving Back: A Look at 10 Years of Genealogy Grants"
Back to top^