Greetings Fellow Family History Sleuths,
Happy 2013, Everyone! I'm so excited about the fresh genealogical adventures this new year will hold!
This month's issue has a definite military flair - from one of my "recent" WWII cases to the mystery skeletons in the Civil War's USS Monitor. But lest things get too serious, there’s also Ellis Island Barbie (not kidding!).
Here's wishing you an incredible year of discovery!
Genealogy Round Up, January 3
Check out Legacy Family Tree's 2013 impressive webinar line-up! I hope you'll join me on 2/27/13 for a St. Patrick's Day warm-up as I share the tale of Annie Moore of Ellis Island. Please tell your friends - especially any Irish ones!
Legacy News: 2013 Legacy Family Tree Webinar Schedule announced
In case you're interested in the Annie Moore webinar, here's the direct link:
Annie Moore of Ellis Island - A Case of Historical Identity Theft
More cabins for the Legacy Family Tree Panama Canal cruise in 2013! Please consider joining us!
This story features Welsh and Scottish heroes of the Monitor. And again, no clue what's up with the irrelevant image of old letters, but there are a couple of interesting images (including an old letter) in the article itself.
150th Anniversary of the USS Monitor: Meet Civil War Naval Heroes Robert Williams and William Bryan
Vegas, baby! Who's coming?
National Genealogical Society Annual Conference
RIP, Monitor crew. Today is the 150th anniversary of the sinking of the USS Monitor - articles for those interested
USS Monitor - Megan's research identifying sailor's remains recovered from the USS Monitor
I had the honor of attending the service for SSGT Dobovich, one of the heroes I've researched for the Army, last week.
Haddonfield genealogist helped Army identify remains of airman killed in 1946
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, December 27
So happy about this - was one of my cases!
WATCH: World War II Vet Returns Home 66 Years After Death
A more detailed article about SSGT Zoltan Dobovich:
Remains of U.S. airman from '46 crash identified, to be laid to rest
Not sure why this is considered "Weird" news or why there's an unrelated image of letters at the top, but check out the assorted documents associated with this history mystery. 150th anniversary of the sinking of the USS Monitor was 12/31/12.
Crew of the USS Monitor: Could Sailor Jacob Nicklis Be One of the Mystery Skeletons?
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, December 20
How You Can Help Ellis Island Rise Above the Waters
Family Legacy Fights to Keep Christmas Bells Ringing
Worth watching. Seriously. You'll be glad you did.
A little good news for your day.
Fascinating Photos of the World’s Grandmas and Their Delicious Home-Cooked Meals
Back to top^
Genealogy Round Up, December 13
Please consider watching and sharing
L.A's Unclaimed Bodies Buried in Annual Ceremony
The December edition of Irish Lives Remembered Genealogy FREE eMag is now LIVE
Irish Genealogy Magazines - FREE to view
For the genealogist who has everything
Ellis Island Barbie!
That awkward moment when Santa Claus becomes your father-in-law . . .
Boy Sits on Santa's Lap, Realizes It's Father-in-Law 15 Years Later
Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing with Megan Smolenyak
Some familiar names in here!
Tracing Your Roots Via DNA Testing Is Getting Cheaper and Easier - WSJ.com
Please consider "liking" the page of author and historian, Andrew Carroll!
Back to top^
If you plan to be near any of the
events where I'll be speaking, I would love to meet you. It's always a
kick for me when folks mention that they read this newsletter, my blog, Huffington Post or whatever, so don't be shy about introducing yourself!
For more information on these events, please see my Events Calendar. And if you're interested in scheduling me, just click here.
- February 27, 2013 - Legacy Family Tree Webinar - "Annie Moore of Ellis Island - A Case of Historical Identity Theft"
- March 14, 2013 - New York, NY - Glucksman Ireland House/NYU - "The Quest for Annie Moore"
- April 18, 2013 - Cedar Falls, IA (delivered live via Skype) - Cedar Falls Public Library - "Cold Cases: Genealogists, Coroners and the FBI"
- April 27, 2013 - Charlevoix, MI - Charlevoix Public Library - "Reverse Genealogy: Techniques for Finding Your Lost Loved Ones," "Find That Obituary," "Right Annie, Wrong Annie" and "Cases That Made My Brain Hurt"
- May 8-11, 2013 - Las Vegas, NV - NGS 2013 Family History Conference - "Solving Historical and Family Mysteries with DNA" and "Lucky 13: A Modest Proposal Regarding Genealogy Grants and Pawn Stores (with Mark Hall-Patton of Pawn Stars)"
- September 22 - October 7, 2013 - Legacy Family Tree 2013 Genealogy Cruise - Panama Canal Cruise
- November 9, 2013 - Pensacola, FL - West Florida Genealogical Society - "Right Annie, Wrong Annie," "Trace Your Roots with DNA," "Find That Obituary! Online Newspaper Research" and "Honoring Our Ancestors"
Back to top^